Accessing support for living with limb loss in England

Losing a limb in Service can leave you feeling overwhelmed with the changes to your body and way of life. Visit the NHS website for information on limb loss.

If you have had an amputation and are registered with a GP, you will be eligible to attend an NHS Limb Centre where your mobility needs will be assessed. You may need a prosthetic limb or wheelchair. This will be provided free of charge where applicable, based on clinical need. Your GP or hospital that carried out the surgery will refer you to the appropriate Limb Centre. There are currently 35 NHS Limb Centres in England.

If you lost a limb in Service, you can access the veterans' prosthetics programme. This programme has enabled nine Disablement Service Centres (DSC's) in England to offer enhanced services to veterans. The services include all areas of rehabilitation, prosthetics, physiotherapy and psychological support.

Who can help?

Blesma help limbless and vision-impaired veterans lead independent and fulfilling lives. They offer tailored support and grants for home modifications, and can help with War Pensions and Armed Forces Compensation applications. They also organise a range of activities to help limbless veterans stay active.

Blesma also have a number of information leaflets relating to living with limb loss, which can be accessed via their website. To find out more about how Blesma can help, contact:

Telephone: 0208 590 1124
Website: Blesma

Emotional Support

Veterans who have lost a limb may suffer with feelings of depression or other mental health problems. If you're concerned about your emotional wellbeing or mental health following the loss of a limb,you can get help from the dedicated NHS veterans mental health services (Veterans’ Mental Health Transition, Intervention and Liaison Service (TILS) and the Veterans’ Mental Health Complex Treatment Service.

You can also get help from Combat Stress, the UK's leading charity for veterans' mental health. The evidence-based clinical treatment is available at residential centres and through a UK-wide network of community teams. Services are free of charge to veterans. For support, visit the Combat Stress website

Financial Support

If you have lost a limb in service, there is financial support available to you. You may be eligible for funding from grants and government schemes to cover the cost of mobility equipment , home adaptations , retraining after service and respite breaks for you and your family.

Is this answer helpful?