Advice on getting a mortgage in Scotland

Getting a mortgage may be one of the biggest financial decisions you make, so it is important to know your options. The MoneyAdvice Service can assist you with everything from the home buying process to budgeting for your move.

How do I choose a mortgage?

Mortgages are available from banks and building societies, so it's essential to find the right one for you. See more about the different types of mortgages available, and how to get the right deal. 

How do I apply for a mortgage?

Lenders check your suitability for a mortgage by assessing your income, outgoings and debt. See advice on the different stages of applying for a mortgage, and find out what information lenders will need from you. You can also use a mortgage affordability calculator to estimate how much you can borrow. 

What are my repayment options?

A mortgage consists of capital and interest repayments. Capital is the money you borrow, and interest is the charge on what you owe. Different mortgage repayment options will affect your monthly repayments, and how much of the property you own will differ at the end of your repayment term. 

How do I manage my mortgage?

The best way to effectively manage your mortgage is to stay in control of your finances. If you fall behind with your mortgage payments, you will find yourself in mortgage arrears. This can sometimes lead to the repossession of your home. Find out more about repossession in Scotland.

Can I get a mortgage if I am ill or disabled?

By law a disability should not prevent you from getting a mortgage. The Money Advice Service website provides more advice on getting a mortgage if you are disabled or ill. It includes information about your legal rights, and what you should do before you apply for a mortgage. If you're on benefits, the Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI) scheme may help you with your mortgage interest payments.

Can I buy to let?

While you are on deployment you can let out your home, but you must inform your lender. At any other time you will need a buy-to-let mortgage, which can generally be more expensive. See more information about buy to let.

Can I complain about my mortgage?

You can contact your lender if you feel you are being treated unfairly. If you do not receive a reply from them within eight weeks, you can contact the Financial Ombudsman for help.

Who can help?

Shelter is the UK's leading housing charity. They can offer advice on mortgages and home ownership. Visit Shelter's website to find out more about getting a mortgage.

Veterans' Gateway - Access to Housing Advice

The Veterans' Housing Advice service, initially provided by the Cobseo group of charities, and delivered by The Royal British Legion, Connect Assist and Shelter, has now been merged into Veterans' Gateway. The service is accessible 24/7 and supported by a resident housing specialist located at the Contact Centre.

The team aim to support veterans in finding, securing or maintaining accommodation by utilising the skills and resources of the Cobseo Housing Cluster, local authority contacts and other housing providers. Information can be accessed by telephone, email, live chat, social media, and on the website by visiting Veterans' Gateway/Self Help/Housing.

For more information, contact:
Telephone: 0808 802 1212 (Freephone 24/7)
Email: Via contact form
Website: Veterans' Gateway/Self Help. Please select housing to see all options.

Is this answer helpful?