Accessing support for living with limb loss in Scotland

Losing a limb in Service can leave you feeling overwhelmed with the changes to your body and way of life. Visit the NHS Inform website for information on limb loss.

If you have had an amputation and are registered with a GP, you will be eligible to attend an NHS Limb Centre where your mobility needs will be assessed. You may need a prosthetic limb or wheelchair. This will be provided free of charge where applicable, based on clinical need. Your GP or hospital that carried out the surgery will refer you to the appropriate Limb Centre. There are currently five NHS Limb Centres in Scotland located in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dundee, Inverness and Aberdeen.

Who can help?

Blesma help limbless and vision-impaired veterans lead independent and fulfilling lives. They offer tailored support and grants for home modifications, and can help with War Pensions and Armed Forces Compensation applications. They also organise a range of activities to help limbless veterans stay active.

Blesma have a number of information leaflets relating to living with limb loss, which can be accessed via their website. To find out more about how Blesma can help, contact:

Telephone: 0208 590 1124
Website: Blesma

Emotional Support

Veterans who have lost a limb may suffer with feelings of depression or other mental health problems. If you're concerned about your emotional wellbeing or mental health following the loss of a limb, contact Combat Stress, the UK's leading charity for veterans' mental health. The evidence-based clinical treatment is available at residential centres and through a UK-wide network of community teams. Services are free of charge to veterans. To find out more, contact:

Telephone: 0800 138 1619
Website: Combat Stress

Financial Support

If you have lost a limb in Service, there are is financial support available to you. You may be eligible for funding from grants and government schemes to cover the cost of mobility equipment , home adaptations , retraining after service and respite breaks for you and your family.

Is this answer helpful?