Living aids, equipment and adaptations in Northern Ireland

If you have an illness or disability, you may need adaptations to help you live independently in your own home. To apply, contact your local trust for an assessment of your needs, and they will arrange a visit from an occupational therapist to assess you and your home.

The Government runs different schemes for home adaptations and getting equipment for people with disabilities who want to be more independent. Visit the Ni Direct website for more information about independence at home and adapting your home.

What help can I get?

The equipment and adaptations you get will vary depending on your circumstances. Typically, they can include:

  • stair rails or a stairlift
  • ramps, or
  • widened doors.

There are further alterations for individual rooms, such as modified bathtubs, lower surfaces in the kitchen and riser chairs in the living room.

Do I have to pay for adaptations?

Before you decide to alter your home, contact your local trust to see if they have a responsibility to pay for them. This may depend on your circumstances and the importance of how the items assist with your independence. In some cases, you could be eligible for a grant to help with the cost of adaptation.

Who can help?

The RAF Benevolent Fund (RAFBF) has a strong tradition of looking after the RAF Family in the UK and overseas. They can help with modifications such as stairlifts, wheelchair ramps, level access showers, and care equipment such as profiling beds, riser recliner chairs, bath lifts, hoists, and communications equipment. If you need assistance adapting your home to help you live independently visit the RAFBF website.

The Royal British Legion offers advice and support to members of the Armed Forces community. They work with veterans to help them retain their independence and mobility. They can support you with applications for grants. Visit The Royal British Legion website for more information.

SSAFA - the Armed Forces charity, supports veterans to maintain independence and mobility in their home. They can provide assistance to help you apply for living aids and equipment. Visit the SSAFA website for more information.

Is this answer helpful?