Help for homeless veterans (Scotland)

Help and assistance is available if you are homeless or in danger of becoming homeless. You do not have to be sleeping rough to be eligible. See Shelter's website for advice about all aspects of homelessness.

See more from Shelter:

Finding emergency accommodation

Contact the Housing Department of your local council if you need urgent assistance.

Help with homeless applications

You can get assistance with homelessness applications from your local council. Shelter can also support you with your application.

Challenging a homelessness decision

You are entitled to a review if you think the council's decision about your homelessness application is unfair. See Shelter for more information.

If you have children and have become homeless

Under the Children (Scotland) Act 1995, the local authority may have a responsibility to provide accommodation for your children if you have become homeless. Contact your local council for information.

If you’re single and need housing

The Single Persons Accommodation Centre for the Ex Services (SPACES) provides advice and helps single service leavers find suitable accommodation. Contact SPACES from up to 12 months prior to discharge for housing assistance.

Help from other organisations

Scottish Veterans Residences

Scottish Veterans Residences provides emergency accommodation for homeless veterans. This comprises single-room en-suite rooms with catering and support services as well as some independent flats. Contact:

Telephone: 0131 556 0091
Website: Scottish Veterans Residences

SSAFA - the Armed Forces charity

SSAFA - the Armed Forces charity, supports veterans through financial assistance for a variety of needs. They offer support for homeless veterans or those at risk of becoming homeless. To see what assistance they can provide, contact SSAFA at:

Telephone: 0800 260 6767
Website: SSAFA

Veterans' Housing Scotland

With a focus on people, properties and partnerships, VHS works closely with Scottish Local Authorities, Military Charities and the Army Personnel Recovery Unit from where priority is given to those transitioning from the Armed Forces due to injury to better meet the needs of our Veterans.

Telephone: 0131 557 1188
Website: Veterans Housing Scotland

Is this answer helpful?