Help for homeless veterans (Northern Ireland)

The Northern Ireland Housing Executive

The Northern Ireland Housing Executive can help if you are homeless or at risk of homelessness. They will establish if you are eligible for assistance by determining:

  • If you are homeless or about to become homeless.
  • If you are in priority need.
  • If you've made yourself intentionally homeless.

Contact the Northern Ireland Housing Executive for more information and advice.

Priority need

You are more likely to receive assistance if you are in priority need. This includes people who:

  • Have children.
  • Are pregnant.
  • Are vulnerable due to age, illness, or disability.
  • Are at risk of domestic violence.
  • Could be financially exploited.

Challenging a homelessness decision

You are able to challenge the decision if your local Housing Executive says you are not considered homeless and cannot receive assistance.

If you have children and have become homeless

Under The Children (Northern Ireland) Order 1995, the local authority may have a responsibility to provide accommodation for your children if you have become homeless. Contact the Housing Executive for more information.

If you're single and need housing

The Single Persons Accommodation Centre for the Ex Services (SPACES) provides advice and helps single service leavers find suitable accommodation. Contact SPACES from up to 12 months prior to discharge for housing assistance.

Help from other organisations

The Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund (RAFBF)

The RAF Benevolent Fund (RAFBF) has a strong tradition of looking after the RAF Family in the UK and overseas. They are there for all serving and former members of the RAF as well as their partners and dependent children. They can offer grants to beneficiaries who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. Contact RAFBF at:

Telephone: 0300 102 1919
Website: RAFBF

SSAFA - the Armed Forces charity

SSAFA - the Armed Forces charity, supports veterans through financial assistance for a variety of needs. They offer support for homeless veterans or those at risk of becoming homeless. To see what assistance they can provide, contact SSAFA at:

Telephone: 0800 260 6767
Website: SSAFA

Veterans' Gateway - Access to Housing Advice

The Veterans' Housing Advice service, initially provided by the Cobseo group of charities, and delivered by The Royal British Legion, Connect Assist and Shelter, has now been merged into Veterans' Gateway. The service is accessible 24/7 and supported by a resident housing specialist located at the Contact Centre.

The team aim to support veterans in finding, securing or maintaining accommodation by utilising the skills and resources of the Cobseo Housing Cluster, local authority contacts and other housing providers. Information can be accessed by telephone, email, live chat, social media, and on the website by visiting Veterans' Gateway/Self Help/Housing.

For more information, contact:
Telephone: 0808 802 1212 (Freephone 24/7)
Email: Via contact form
Website: Veterans' Gateway/Self Help. Please select housing to see all options.

Is this answer helpful?