Help for homeless veterans (England)

Help and assistance is available if you are homeless or in danger of becoming homeless. You do not have to be sleeping rough to be eligible. See Shelter's website for advice about all aspects of homelessness.

See more from Shelter:

Emergency accommodation

If you need emergency accommodation, use Homeless UK's accommodation finder, or visit Shelter for advice.

Help from your local authority

Contact your local council for help in your area. They can advise on emergency accommodation and local shelters. Your local authority has a legal duty to assist certain people.

Priority need

Those in priority need are more likely to receive immediate assistance. You may be considered a priority need if you:

  • Were in the armed forces.
  • Are vulnerable due to age or disability.
  • Have dependent children or are pregnant.
  • Are at risk of violence or harassment.

See Shelter's website to find out more about priority need.

Help with homeless applications

The council will schedule an interview to assess your situation. Visit Shelter for more information about homelessness applications.

Challenging a homelessness decision

If you think the council's decision about your homeless application is wrong, you have the right to request a review. See Shelter for help with challenging homelessness decisions.

If you have children and have become homeless

Under Section 20 of The Children Act 1989, your local authority may have a responsibility to provide accommodation for your children if you become homeless.

If you're single and need housing

The Single Persons Accommodation Centre for the Ex Services (SPACES) provides advice and helps single service leavers find suitable accommodation. Contact SPACES from up to 12 months prior to discharge for housing assistance.

Help from other organisations


Launchpad provides veterans with accommodation in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne and Liverpool. Individuals are provided with refurbished, one-bedroom flats that have access to communal facilities. Residents pay rent, using housing benefit, income or savings. Launchpad also works with veterans to support health or welfare issues and helps with finding employment and permanent housing.

Telephone: 0300 111 1238
Website: Launchpad

SSAFA - the Armed Forces charity

SSAFA - the Armed Forces charity, supports veterans through financial assistance for a variety of needs. They offer support for homeless veterans or those at risk of becoming homeless. To see what assistance they can provide, contact SSAFA at:

Telephone: 0800 260 6767
Website: SSAFA


Stoll is a veteran's charity and housing association that provides housing and access to services that prevent homelessness. Contact Stoll at:

Website: Stoll
Telephone: 0207 385 2110

Is this answer helpful?