Help for homeless veterans (England)

Do you need immediate help and advice via our contact centre? Call us now on 0808 802 1212 , text 81212 or use live chat

Help and assistance is available if you are homeless or in danger of becoming homeless. You do not have to be sleeping rough to be eligible. See Shelter's website for advice about all aspects of homelessness.

See more from Shelter:

Emergency accommodation

If you need emergency accommodation, use Homeless UK's accommodation finder, or visit Shelter for advice.

Help from your local authority

Contact your local council for help in your area. They can advise on emergency accommodation and local shelters. Your local authority has a legal duty to assist certain people.

Priority need

Those in priority need are more likely to receive immediate assistance. You may be considered a priority need if you:

  • Were in the armed forces.
  • Are vulnerable due to age or disability.
  • Have dependent children or are pregnant.
  • Are at risk of violence or harassment.

See Shelter's website to find out more about priority need.

Help with homeless applications

The council will schedule an interview to assess your situation. Visit Shelter for more information about homelessness applications.

Challenging a homelessness decision

If you think the council's decision about your homeless application is wrong, you have the right to request a review. See Shelter for help with challenging homelessness decisions.

If you have children and have become homeless

Under Section 20 of The Children Act 1989, your local authority may have a responsibility to provide accommodation for your children if you become homeless.

If you're single and need housing

The Single Persons Accommodation Centre for the Ex Services (SPACES) provides advice and helps single service leavers find suitable accommodation. Contact SPACES from up to 12 months prior to discharge for housing assistance.

Help from other organisations

The Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund (RAFBF)

The RAF Benevolent Fund (RAFBF) has a strong tradition of looking after the RAF Family in the UK and overseas. They are there for all serving and former members of the RAF as well as their partners and dependent children.They can offer grants to beneficiaries who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. Contact RAFBF:

Telephone: 0800 169 2942
Website: RAFBF

SSAFA - the Armed Forces charity

SSAFA - the Armed Forces charity, supports veterans through financial assistance for a variety of needs. They offer support for homeless veterans or those at risk of becoming homeless. To see what assistance they can provide, contact SSAFA at:

Telephone: 0800 731 4880
Website: SSAFA


Stoll is a veteran's charity and housing association that provides housing and access to services that prevent homelessness. Contact Stoll at:

Website: Stoll
Telephone: 0207 385 2110

Is this answer helpful?