Applying for a disabled facilities grant in Northern Ireland

Disabled Facilities Grants (DFG's) are for adaptations to a disabled person's home, enabling them to live comfortably and independently. Visit the NI Direct website for more information about the DFG, to apply and to find out what you will receive.

If you or someone you live with has a disability, you may be eligible for a DFG, after an Occupational Therapist makes a recommendation for your home to be adapted.

How to apply

To apply, get in touch with your local Health and Social Care Services Trust or ask your GP or social worker for advice.

Do not carry out any work beforehand, as you will usually not receive a grant for adaptations already completed.

Who can help with applications?

If you need help with your application, contact your nearest Housing Executive Grants' Office. There are also a number of service charities who can assist with the application process.


Blesma work to aid limbless veterans through support for mobile and independent living. Get in touch at:

Telephone: 0208 590 1124
Website: Blesma

Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund

Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund (RAFBF) has a strong tradition of looking after the RAF Family in the UK and overseas. They are there for all serving and former members of the RAF as well as their partners and dependent children. They provide guidance on benefits, including applying for a DFG. For support, contact:

Telephone: 0300 102 1919
Website: Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund

The Royal British Legion

The Royal British Legion can help veterans with DFG applications. To see if the Legion can help you, contact:

Telephone: 0808 802 8080
Website: The Royal British Legion

How long does the work take?

The time needed to complete the work is dependent on the level of demand in your area, and the alterations to be carried out on your home. You should not start the work until the Housing Executive gives approval, or you may not be eligible for the grant.

When will I receive the grant?

The grant will be paid when the work is finished and approved by your Occupational Therapist and the Housing Executive. You will also need to send receipts and certificates to the Housing Executive as proof.

For more details of what to expect, The Housing Executive has compiled a step-by-step guide to adapting your home.

Is this answer helpful?