Applying for The Scheme of Assistance for adaptations (Scotland)

If you or someone you live with is disabled, you may be eligible for a grant from the council to help with the cost of adapting your home. This grant is available through The Scheme of Assistance.

All local authorities are obliged to provide a grant for property adaptions to a disabled person's home. However, the level of funding and work covered depends on each authority's Scheme of Assistance Statement. To find out what help you are entitled to, contact your local council.

Who can apply?

You can apply for a grant to adapt the home of a disabled person if you are the homeowner or have part ownership through a shared equity scheme.

If you're renting privately or live in council housing, you'll need permission from your landlord to make the adaptations. Find out more about how to apply for home adaptations on Shelter's website.

How to apply

You should apply directly to your local council. Get the application forms from your local housing office or download from your council's website.

Who can help with applications?

The Armed Services Advice Project (ASAP)

ASAP, delivered by the Citizens Advice Bureau in Scotland, provides dedicated information, advice and support for the Armed Forces community. For advice on home adaptations, contact:

Website: ASAP Advice


Blesma work to aid limbless veterans through support for mobile and independent living. Get in touch at:

Telephone: 0208 590 1124
Website: Blesma


Shelter give information and advice on all aspects of housing and can help you apply for The Scheme of Assistance. See their guide to home adaptations or contact:

Telephone: 0808 800 4444
Website: Shelter

Read our home adaptations FAQs for more information.

Is this answer helpful?