SSAFA, the Armed Forces charity, has been providing lifelong support to our Forces and their families since 1885. Every year our staff and team of volunteers help more than 60,000 people, from Second World War veterans to young men and women who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan
We have a large network of trained volunteer caseworkers to help you, in Branches throughout the whole of the UK and abroad, and on military bases at home and overseas. It means that help and advice is always close at hand. We use a volunteer caseworker to assess your needs and then apply for funding from a wide variety of charities to meet your needs.
SSAFA is ready to help with:
- Financial Hardship: Practical help for those struggling financially with things like household goods, delivered through our network of specially trained volunteer caseworkers.
- Mobility Products: Practical help to identify and provide the right aids to help you move around.
- Home Adaptations: Assistance to apply for disabled facilities grants to adapt your home.
- Debt: Assistance to obtain debt advice, and practical support to recover financially.
- Housing: Support to find housing, and to move into accommodation.
- Benefits: Support to find the right benefits.
- Absent Without Leave (AWOL): Telephone advice and support to help resolve the situation, from SSAFA Forcesline on 0800 731 4880 (see below).
- Medical Discharge: Mentoring to help those medically discharged from service by motivating, supporting and empowering them to fulfil their potential as a civilian.
- The Justice System: Support for offenders and ex-offenders through local volunteers and specialist prison in-reach caseworkers, who can offer advice and help to you and your family.
- Adoption: An adoption service for those serving in the Armed Forces.
- Children's Short Break Holidays for families with children who have additional needs.
- Support groups to help families and dependants cope with bereavements or the impact of major injuries.
Please note that for SSAFA support you will need to show evidence of your military connection, or if missing we can help you to obtain it. For financial support you will need to provide your financial information. This is treated as confidential.
Need to talk?
SSAFA's Forcesline is a free and confidential helpline providing advice and information as well as supportive listening for veterans, serving personnel, reserves and their families. It is completely independent of the military chain of command. Advice and support can also be given for those who are AWOL (Absent without leave) from the Forces.