Dissolving a civil partnership (Scotland)

To end a civil partnership, as with divorce, you will need to offer evidence that the relationship has broken down irretrievably. Accepted evidence includes:

  • unreasonable behaviour
  • desertion
  • living apart for more than a year (if both partners agree to the dissolution), or
  • living apart for two years (if one of the partners doesn't agree to the dissolution).

You can also end a civil partnership on the grounds that one of the partners has an interim gender recognition certificate.

Can I get an annulment?

The courts may grant an annulment to the civil partnership if it is considered to be void, meaning it does not or did not meet the legal criteria to be considered a civil partnership.

How do I end a civil partnership?

To end a civil partnership you may apply to end it informally. You can formally dissolve your civil partnership in two ways:

DIY dissolution

If you have no children under 16 and can agree on how to deal with your joint assets, you can use a simplified procedure. You may not need to hire solicitors for this procedure.

You can apply for a DIY dissolution by filling in forms from your local Sheriff court. You must provide evidence of the breakdown of the relationship.

The ordinary procedure

If you have children under 16 you have to use this procedure to dissolve your civil partnership.

If you cannot agree about the grounds for the dissolution, or issues about children, finances or property, the case will have to go to court as a defended case.

Where can I get help or find out more?

For more information on ending civil partnerships, including housing rights, visit Citizens Advice Bureau website.

To find a solicitor or legal adviser in your area, go to the GOV.UK website.

The Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund.

The RAF Benevolent Fund has a strong tradition of looking after the RAF Family in the UK and overseas. They support all serving and former members of the RAF as well as their partners and dependent children. They provide access to free relationship counselling and subsidised mediation sessions for both the RAF veteran community and the RAF serving community. For more information, contact:

Telephone: 0800 169 2942
Email: WelfareServices@rafbf.org.uk
Website: The Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund

Is this answer helpful?