Homelessness – applying before you are discharged in Scotland

The MOD's Joint Service Housing Advice Office (JSHAO) is a service that provides service personnel and their dependants with civilian housing information. They can help you consider your housing options through briefings and other information. You should contact them before you're discharged and before your housing situation becomes urgent.

See more information on JSHAO:

Visit the GOV.UK website for more information about JSHAO.

If you are single and leaving the Armed Forces, contact the Single Persons Accommodation Centre for the Ex Services (SPACES) who help single service leavers find suitable accommodation no matter where they are based. You can contact SPACES for assistance from up to 12 months prior to discharge.

How to register as homeless

If you think you will be homeless after leaving the Armed Forces, you should contact your local council for assistance. If you can't find accommodation, you should stay in military accommodation for as long as possible, until you are served a notice to vacate. You can use this document as evidence when applying to your council as homeless and your time in Service may place you in priority need.

Shelter works to prevent homelessness and you can ask for support when applying for social housing. Visit Shelter's website for more information. If you are concerned about becoming homeless, there are organisations that can give you advice and help you find accommodation.

Is this answer helpful?