Budgeting Loans are interest-free loans from the social fund available for people receiving certain benefits for at least six months. A Budgeting Loan can pay for:
- furniture or household items (for example, washing machines or other ‘white goods’)
- clothes or footwear
- rent in advance
- costs linked to moving house
- maintenance,improvements or security for your home
- travelling costs within the UK
- costs linked to getting a new job
- maternity costs
- funeral costs
- repaying hire purchase loans
- repaying loans taken for the above items
Contact GOV.UK for more information on Budgeting Loans and eligibility criteria.
Who can help?
Members of the Armed Forces community in Scotland can receive further support and advice from the Armed Services Advice Project (ASAP).
Seafarers' Advice and Information Line (SAIL) is the only Citizens Advice service dedicated to Naval Service Veterans. They can help you apply for a Budgeting Loan. For support, visit their website.
Shelter is the UK's leading housing charity. Visit their website for advice on Budgeting Loans.
How to apply
You can apply for a Budgeting Loan online, by post, from your nearest Jobcentre Plus, or by phoning the Social Fund on 0800 169 0140. The GOV.UK website gives more information on the various ways you can apply.