Homelessness – applying before you are discharged in Northern Ireland

The MOD's Joint Service Housing Advice Office (JSHAO) is a service that provides service personnel and their dependants with civilian housing information. They can help you consider your housing options through briefings and other information. You should contact them before you're discharged and before your housing situation becomes urgent.

See more information on JSHAO form Shelter:

Visit the GOV.UK website for more information about JSHAO.

How to register as homeless

If you think you will be homeless after leaving the Armed Forces, you should contact The NI Housing Executive for assistance. If you can't find accommodation, you should stay in military accommodation for as long as possible, until you are served a notice to vacate. You can use this document as evidence when applying to your council as homeless and your time in Service may place you in priority need.

You can apply as homeless with the Northern Ireland Housing Executive before you are discharged. The Housing Executive will assess your situation and work with you to find suitable accommodation if you are eligible.

If you are concerned about becoming homeless, there are a number of organisations that can give you advice and help you find accommodation. Further housing support is available from Housing Rights, including how to get help from Social Services and advice on temporary housing.

Is this answer helpful?