Accessing support for sight loss in England

If you have problems with your sight, consider visiting an optician for advice about glasses and contact lenses. Use the NHS Service Finder to locate your local opticians.

If you experience sudden changes, such as blurred vision or eye pain, contact your GP immediately, as you may need treatment.

You can also visit the NHS Choices website for advice about looking after your eyes. For information on eligibility for free eye tests, see the NHS Choices website. The NHS guide to Visual Impairment explains long and short sightedness, and other eye problems that need specialist treatment.

Who can help?

If you need help and support with sight loss, below are some organisations that can help:


Blesma help limbless and vision-impaired veterans lead independent and fulfilling lives. They offer tailored support and grants for home modifications, and can help with War Pensions and Armed Forces Compensation applications. For support, contact:

Telephone: 0208 590 1124
Website: Blesma

Blind Veterans UK

Blind Veterans UK assists ex-Service personnel living with sight loss. They provide expert support through induction weeks, rehabilitation, training, sports and care facilities. For support, contact:

Telephone: 0800 389 7979
Website: Blind Veterans UK

The Royal British Legion

The Royal British Legion help serving and ex-Service personnel and their families access further support for sight loss and blindness. Their Independent Living Service may be able to offer financial help for a variety of needs. For support, contact:

Telephone: 0808 802 8080
Website: The Royal British Legion

Is this answer helpful?