Accessing support for sight loss in Northern Ireland

If you have problems with your sight, consider visiting an optician for advice about glasses and contact lenses. Use the Health and Social Care Service Finder to locate your local opticians.

If you experience sudden changes, such as blurred vision or eye pain, contact your GP immediately, as you may need treatment.

You can also visit the NHS Choices website for information on looking after your eyes. Find more information about eligibility for free eye tests through HSCNI online. The NHS guide to Visual Impairment explains long and short sightedness, and other eye problems that need specialist treatment.

Who can help?

If you need help and support with sight loss, below are some organisations that can help:


Blesma help limbless and vision-impaired veterans lead independent and fulfilling lives. They offer tailored support and grants for home modifications, and they can help with War Pensions and Armed Forces Compensation applications. For support, contact:

Telephone: 0208 590 1124
Website: Blesma

The Royal British Legion

The Royal British Legion helps serving and ex-Service personnel and their family's access further support for sight loss and blindness. Their Independent Living Service may be able to offer financial help for a variety of needs. For support, contact:

Telephone: 0808 802 8080
Website: The Royal British Legion

Is this answer helpful?