Debt advice in England, Northern Ireland and Wales.

If you are in debt, you can take steps to improve your situation. The Money Advice Service is a Government program that provides information on debt and borrowing, including how to take control of debt, where to get free debt advice and how to borrow money affordably. They also offer tools and calculators to help with managing debts and finances.

You can also receive expert advice from StepChange, a national charity helping those in debt. They will take details of your debts and help you create a personal budget. They will use this information to work out your options and provide you with a personal action plan explaining what to do next. You can access this support online through Debt Remedy or by calling their helpline on 0800 138 1111.

Face-to-face debt advice

Citizens Advice can offer face-to-face debt advice. These can take place in community centres, doctors' surgeries, courts and prisons or on the high street. Search for your local Citizens Advice in England, Northern Ireland and Wales.

Who else can help?

The Royal British Legion

The Royal British Legion is a Service charity offering support and practical help to all members of the Armed Forces community. Their dedicated Benefits, Debt and Money Advice (BDMA) Service offers comprehensive support for those with unmanageable debt. Call their contact centre on 0808 802 8080 for assistance.

Tax Volunteers

Tax Volunteers is a national charity offering free tax advice to people who are over 60 and on a low income. You can seek advice on any personal tax problem, no matter how complex the issue may be. Visit the Tax Volunteers website for more information or call their helpline on 0845 601 3321 or 01308 488066.

Is this answer helpful?