Cost of renting a property in England

It is important that you budget correctly for what you can afford, as renting a property can be expensive.

How do I manage rent?

Before moving in, be aware of additional expenses such as removal costs, council tax, bills and service charges. See the Money Advice Service for information on how to budget for renting, including how to share costs between tenants in the same property.

Extra costs such as deposits and agent's fees can be calculated on Shelter's website.

See more advice, from Shelter, on getting help with the rent deposit and with white goods:

Will my rent increase?

At the end of your tenancy, private landlords may increase rent. You may be able to challenge a rent increase by applying for a tribunal. Council or housing association rents are difficult to challenge, and they usually increase every April.

You may be able to claim housing benefit to pay your rent if you are on a low income. Universal Credit is a new benefit that will replace in stages other benefits, including housing benefits. Visit Shelter's website to see if you are eligible for Universal Credit.

Council housing and housing associations

Council and housing association accommodation is more affordable than private renting. You will have to join a waiting list with your local council. Find out more about applying for council and housing association accommodation.

Who can help?

Veterans' Gateway - Access to Housing Advice

The Veterans' Housing Advice service, initially provided by the Cobseo group of charities, and delivered by The Royal British Legion, Connect Assist and Shelter, has now been merged into Veterans' Gateway. 

The team aim to support veterans in finding, securing or maintaining accommodation by utilising the skills and resources of the Cobseo Housing Cluster, local authority contacts and other housing providers. Information can be accessed by telephone, email, live chat, social media, and on the website by visiting Veterans' Gateway/Self Help/Housing.

For more information, contact:
Telephone: 0808 802 1212 (Freephone 24/7)
Email: Via contact form
Website: Veterans' Gateway/Self Help. Please select housing to see all options.

Is this answer helpful?