Financial assistance for parents who are studying in Scotland

If you are a parent looking to study, there are grants available to help you with course related costs and childcare. Visit the Money Advice Service website for more information.

What grants are available?

Lone Parents' Grant

The Lone Parents' Grant is a payment of up to £1,305 for anyone who is studying and bringing up a child alone. To be eligible you must be:

  • single
  • widowed
  • divorced, or
  • separated

How to apply

Apply to your college directly for the Lone Parents' Grant. The amount you get will depend on your income. Find out more about applying for funding on the Student Awards Agency for Scotland website.

Childcare Fund

The Childcare fund is a means-tested grant of up to £1,215 from your college or university to help with the cost of childcare. The fund is limited and priority is generally given to lone parents.

You can apply if you're paying for registered childcare and:

  • You are a full-time undergraduate or postgraduate student.
  • You are getting the maximum student loan available.
  • You are eligible for tuition funding from the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS).

How to apply

Apply directly to your college or university for the Childcare Fund. SAAS also offer guidance on the Childcare Fund.

Who can help?

Members of the Armed Forces Community in Scotland can get advice and information from the Armed Services Advice Project.

The RAF Benevolent Fund (RAFBF) has a strong tradition of looking after the RAF Family in the UK and overseas. They are there for all serving and former members of the RAF as well as their partners and dependent children. Their Advice and Advocacy service offers expert advice on benefits and help with claiming support you are entitled to. Visit the RAFBF website for more information.

Is this answer helpful?