Armed Forces Compensation Scheme England, Wales and Northern Ireland

The Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS) is administered by Veterans UK and paid by the MOD. If you have had an illness or injury caused or made worse by service in the Armed Forces on or after 6 April 2005, then you may be able to make a claim. Visit the Veterans UK website for a detailed guide on Armed Forces compensation.

You can claim for any injuries or illness during your service. They do not have to have been caused by conflict and can include activities such as training and recognised sports. You also do not have to prove anyone was to blame, just that the injury was caused or made worse by service.

How is it assessed?

Awards are based on a fixed tariff, usually in the form of a one-off lump sum payment. If you are entitled, you may be paid one of 15 fixed amounts, depending on the severity of your injury. Your situation may be assessed through a medical examination performed by a doctor who is appointed by Veterans UK.

A Guaranteed Income Payment (GIP) is awarded for the most serious injuries. This is a tax-free regular payment, paid after service has ended, and it is intended to compensate for loss of earnings.

When should I claim?

You must apply within seven years of your injury or condition developing. This time limit is strict, as no late claims will be considered.

How can I apply?

Visit the Veterans UK website to download a claim form. They can help you complete the form by explaining what information is required. You can also contact The Royal British Legion for assistance with applications.

What happens to my application?

Veterans UK will obtain your service and medical records, to determine if your injury was predominantly caused or made worse by service. If it is they will assess the severity of your injury or illness.

How long will it take?

The process can take up to six months.

Can I appeal against a decision?

You have the right to ask for a reconsideration if your application is rejected or you are unhappy with the decision. You can also make an appeal to an independent tribunal. These applications must be made within one year of the decision. You should contact Veterans UK to make an appeal. A reconsideration of the decision will take place automatically if you make an appeal.

Is this answer helpful?