Financial assistance for parents who are studying in Northern Ireland

If you are a parent in education or are looking to start a course, there are grants available to help with course related costs and childcare. Visit the Money Advice Service website for more information.

The Parents' Learning Allowance

The Parents' Learning Allowance is a grant payable to full-time students with dependent children. It helps with course-related costs such as study materials, books and travel. It is payable on top of student finance and does not have to be repaid. Visit NI Direct for more information.

You can apply for the Parents' Learning Allowance through your student finance application, either at the start or during your course.

Childcare Grant

The Childcare Grant offers weekly payments to parents who are in full time education and have dependent children. The grant covers up to 85 per cent of childcare costs. Visit NI Direct for more information. You can apply for The Childcare Grant on your student finance application.

Care to Learn

The Care to Learn scheme offers financial assistance to parents who are studying at a further education college. The scheme helps with the costs of childcare. Find out more at NI Direct.

Who can apply to the Care to Learn scheme?

You could be eligible for the scheme if you're:

  • the main carer for your child
  • aged 16 and 20 at the beginning of your course
  • living in Northern Ireland, and
  • studying a full or part-time course.

Speak to your college or course provider to check if your course is eligible.

Who can help?

The RAF Benevolent Fund (RAFBF) has a strong tradition of looking after the RAF Family in the UK and overseas. They are there for all serving and former members of the RAF as well as their partners and dependent children. Their Advice and Advocacy service offers expert advice on benefits and help with claiming support you are entitled to. Visit the RAFBF website for more information.

Is this answer helpful?