House Repossession - Support and advice (Wales)

Your lender may seek to repossess your home if you are in mortgage arrears. However, you may be able to prevent court action by negotiating with your lender. Visit Shelter's website for advice.

If you are facing court action, Shelter offer help desks at county courts as part of a Legal Aid Agency funded initiative. You can get advice and representation on possession hearing days as part of a free service.

Before any court action can be pursued, your lender must follow certain steps to help you keep your home. They must tell you exactly how much you owe along with any associated interest costs, and consider a request to change the way you pay your mortgage.

See more from Shelter:

It is possible to avoid court action and repossession if you come to an agreement with your lender. Visit the Citizens Advice website for further information about repossession and mortgage problems. You can also visit GOV.UK for information about finding a solicitor to represent you in court.

Where can I get help?

The Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund (RAFBF)

The Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund has a strong tradition of looking after the RAF Family in the UK and overseas. They support all serving and former members of the RAF as well as their partners and dependent children. They may be able to give you financial assistance if you're unable to pay your mortgage. For support, contact:

Telephone: 0300 102 1919
Website: Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund

Seafarers' Advice and Information Line (SAIL)

Seafarers' Advice and Information Line (SAIL) is the only Citizens Advice dedicated to Naval Service Veterans. They provide expert telephone and email advice on housing issues, including repossession. For more information, contact:

Helpline: 0800 160 1842
Website: SAIL

Veterans' Gateway - Access to Housing Advice

The Veterans' Housing Advice service, initially provided by the Cobseo group of charities, and delivered by The Royal British Legion, Connect Assist and Shelter, has now been merged into Veterans' Gateway. 

The team aim to support veterans in finding, securing or maintaining accommodation by utilising the skills and resources of the Cobseo Housing Cluster, local authority contacts and other housing providers. Information can be accessed by telephone, email, live chat, social media, and on the website by visiting Veterans' Gateway/Self Help/Housing.

For more information, contact:
Telephone: 0808 802 1212 (Freephone 24/7)
Email: Via contact form
Website: Veterans' Gateway/Self Help/Housing 

Is this answer helpful?