Financial assistance for parents who are studying in England

If you are a parent in education or you are looking to start a course, there are grants available to help with course related costs and childcare. Visit the Money Advice Service website for more information.

What grants are available?

Parents' Learning Allowance

The Parents' Learning Allowance is a grant payable to full-time students with dependent children. It helps with course-related costs such as study materials, books and travel. It is payable on top of student finance and does not have to be repaid. Visit the GOV.UK website for more information.

You can apply for the Parents' Learning Allowance through your student finance application.

Childcare Grant

The Childcare Grant offers weekly payments to parents who are in full time education and have dependent children. The grant covers up to 85 per cent of childcare costs and can be used alongside other student finance payments. Visit the GOV.UK website for more information.

You can apply for The Childcare Grant online.

Care to Learn

The Care to Learn scheme offers financial assistance to parents who are studying at a further education college. The scheme helps with the costs of childcare. Find out more at GOV.UK.

Who can apply to Care to Learn?

You could be eligible for the scheme if you're:

  • the main carer for your child
  • under 20 at the beginning of your course
  • living in England and are a citizen of the UK, and
  • are studying a publicly funded course.

Talk to your college or school to check if your course is eligible. You can apply online for the scheme.

Who can help?

Contact The Royal British Legion for more information about eligibility and how to apply.

The RAF Benevolent Fund (RAFBF) has a strong tradition of looking after the RAF Family in the UK and overseas. They are there for all serving and former members of the RAF as well as their partners and dependent children. Their Advice and Advocacy service offers expert advice on benefits and help with claiming support you are entitled to. Visit the RAFBF website for more information.

Is this answer helpful?