Private renting in Scotland

Renting a property privately will be from a private landlord, who could be a company, individual, family, charity, or group. You can rent through a local estate agent or search for homes online.

What help can I get before leaving the services?

Contact the Joint Service Housing Advice Office (JSHAO) for help before leaving the Service. They also hold briefings that can offer you advice about private renting.

If you are single, contact the Single Persons Accommodation Centre for the Ex-Services (SPACES). They provide housing information and offer help to secure accommodation.

How much does it cost to rent privately?

Other than paying a monthly rent, expenses such as council tax, gas and electricity bills can contribute to the total cost. Upfront costs like deposits and letting agent fees can also be significant.

The Money Advice Service can help you decide how much you can afford and how to budget and share the cost of renting.

Who can help?

The RAF Benevolent Fund (RAFBF) has a strong tradition of looking after the RAF Family in the UK and overseas. They support all serving and former members of the RAF as well as their partners and dependent children. They may offer a grant to cover the first month's rent, bond or deposit to secure your home. Visit the RAFBF website for more information.

Shelter offers expert advice about renting privately, including advice about finding a place to live, things to consider when looking for a property, and information about what happens before you move in. visit Shelter's website to find out more.

Veterans' Gateway - Access to Housing Advice

The Veterans' Housing Advice service, initially provided by the Cobseo group of charities, and delivered by The Royal British Legion, Connect Assist and Shelter, has now been merged into Veterans' Gateway. 

The team aim to support veterans in finding, securing or maintaining accommodation by utilising the skills and resources of the Cobseo Housing Cluster, local authority contacts and other housing providers. Information can be accessed by telephone, email, live chat, social media, and on the website by visiting Veterans' Gateway/Self Help/Housing.

For more information, contact:
Telephone: 0808 802 1212 (Freephone 24/7)
Email: Via contact form
Website: Veterans' Gateway/Self Help. Please select housing to see all options.

Is this answer helpful?