House Repossession - Support and advice (Northern Ireland)

Your lender may seek to repossess your home if you are in mortgage arrears, but you may be able to prevent court action by negotiating.

You can get free advice from Housing Rights specialist advisers if you are at risk of losing your home. They can help you negotiate a deal with your lender, and may represent you in court depending on your circumstances.

Your lender must tell you exactly what you owe and consider any suggestions for alternative ways to pay before taking you to court. Get more advice on avoiding repossession before going to court.

Your lender cannot enforce possession unless the court gives them permission. Visit the NI Direct website to find out more about repossessions and the role of the court. You can also visit GOV.UK for information about finding a solicitor to represent you in court.

Where can I get help?

The RAF Benevolent Fund (RAFBF)

The RAF Benevolent Fund (RAFBF) has a strong tradition of looking after the RAF Family in the UK and overseas. They support all serving and former members of the RAF as well as their partners and dependent children. They may be able to give you financial assistance if you're unable to pay your mortgage. For support, contact:

Telephone: 0300 102 1919
Website: RAFBF

Seafarers' Advice and Information Line (SAIL)

Seafarers' Advice and Information Line (SAIL) is the only Citizens Advice dedicated to Naval Service Veterans. They provide expert telephone and email advice on housing issues, including repossession. For more information, contact:

Helpline: 0800 160 1842
Website: SAIL

Veterans' Gateway - Access to Housing Advice

The Veterans' Housing Advice service, initially provided by the Cobseo group of charities, and delivered by The Royal British Legion, Connect Assist and Shelter, has now been merged into Veterans' Gateway. The service is accessible 24/7 and supported by a resident housing specialist located at the Contact Centre.

The team aim to support veterans in finding, securing or maintaining accommodation by utilising the skills and resources of the Cobseo Housing Cluster, local authority contacts and other housing providers. Information can be accessed by telephone, email, live chat, social media, and on the website by visiting Veterans' Gateway/Self Help/Housing.

For more information, contact:
Telephone: 0808 802 1212 (Freephone 24/7)
Email: Via contact form
Website: Veterans' Gateway/Self Help. Please select housing to see all options.

Is this answer helpful?