House repossession - Support and advice (Scotland)

Your lender may try to evict you and sell your home if you are not paying the mortgage. Visit the Keeping your home website for more information about repossession and how to avoid losing your home.

Court action taken by your lender to repossess your home does not mean you will definitely lose it; however, you must address the issues quickly, even if your financial problems are temporary.

You may be eligible for free face-to-face advice through a housing aid centre. Visit Shelter's Advice Services Directory to find an aid centre. You can also visit GOV.UK for information about finding a solicitor to represent you in court.

If you're a homeowner who receives income benefits, the Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI) scheme can pay the interest on your mortgage, and interest on any loans taken out to maintain or repair the property.

Where can I get help?

If you are worried about losing your home, the following charities may be able to help you.

The Armed Services Advice Project (ASAP)

ASAP provides free independent, confidential and impartial advice and information to the Armed Forces community on a range of issues including housing. For advice, contact:

Website: ASAP Advice

The RAF Benevolent Fund (RAFBF)

The RAF Benevolent Fund (RAFBF) has a strong tradition of looking after the RAF Family in the UK and overseas. They support all serving and former members of the RAF as well as their partners and dependent children. They may be able to give you financial assistance if you're unable to pay your mortgage. For support, contact:

Telephone: 0300 102 1919
Website: RAFBF

Veterans' Gateway - Access to Housing Advice

The Veterans' Housing Advice service, initially provided by the Cobseo group of charities, and delivered by The Royal British Legion, Connect Assist and Shelter, has now been merged into Veterans' Gateway. The service is accessible 24/7 and supported by a resident housing specialist located at the Contact Centre.

The team aim to support veterans in finding, securing or maintaining accommodation by utilising the skills and resources of the Cobseo Housing Cluster, local authority contacts and other housing providers. Information can be accessed by telephone, email, live chat, social media, and on the website by visiting Veterans' Gateway/Self Help/Housing.

For more information, contact:
Telephone: 0808 802 1212 (Freephone 24/7)
Email: Via contact form
Website: Veterans' Gateway/Self Help. Please select housing to see all options.

See more from Shelter:

Is this answer helpful?