Getting help with eviction (Northern Ireland)

There is help available if you are facing eviction. As a tenant you have certain rights to protect you, but in some cases a landlord will have a legal right to evict you. This procedure is called seeking possession. To seek advice on your housing situation, contact Housing Rights Northern Ireland or your local Citizens Advice.

Help for private tenants

If you break your tenancy agreement, your landlord may start eviction proceedings. See the Housing Rights website to see why a private landlord may pursue eviction.

Help for social housing tenants

Social tenants may be evicted as a last resort. The procedure is different for secure social tenants and introductory social tenants.

Illegal eviction

Contact your local council if you think you are facing illegal eviction. The council has the right to take your landlord to court if they broke the law.

Types of illegal eviction include harassment or threats from the landlord, being physically removed from the property, or the locks being changed while you are out. See the Housing Rights website to find out more about illegal eviction.

Who can help?

The Royal British Legion

The Royal British Legion provides a benefits, debt and money advice service that helps veterans with a range of financial issues. They may be able to help you understand your circumstances and options if you are facing eviction. Contact the Legion at:

Telephone: 0808 802 8080
Website: The Royal British Legion

Seafarers Advice and Information Line (SAIL)

Seafarers' Advice and Information Line (SAIL) is the only Citizens Advice dedicated to Naval Service Veterans. They provide expert telephone and email advice. They may be able to help you if you are facing eviction. To discuss your circumstances, contact SAIL:

Telephone: 0800 160 1842
Website: SAIL

Veterans' Gateway - Access to Housing Advice

The Veterans' Housing Advice service, initially provided by the Cobseo group of charities, and delivered by The Royal British Legion, Connect Assist and Shelter, has now been merged into Veterans' Gateway. 

The team aim to support veterans in finding, securing or maintaining accommodation by utilising the skills and resources of the Cobseo Housing Cluster, local authority contacts and other housing providers. Information can be accessed by telephone, email, live chat, social media, and on the website by visiting Veterans' Gateway/Self Help/Housing.

For more information, contact:
Telephone: 0808 802 1212 (Freephone 24/7)
Email: Via contact form
Website: Veterans' Gateway/Self Help. Please select housing to see all options.

Is this answer helpful?