Applying for social housing in Northern Ireland

What is social housing?

Social housing is affordable accommodation that is made available through the Northern Ireland Housing Executive and housing associations.

How to apply for social housing

You can apply by calling 03448 920 900, or by downloading an application form and returning it to the Housing Executive office or your local housing association. A housing officer will assess your needs and then place you on a waiting list. If you are vulnerable, or at risk of homelessness, you may be considered a priority need.

Visit the Housing executive website for further information about applying for social housing. The Citizens Advice website also details housing options for veterans and those leaving the Armed Forces.

Eligibility and priority for veterans

Everyone over the age of 18 is entitled to apply for social housing. The Housing Executive will decide if you are eligible.

Who can help?

Haig Housing Trust

Haig Housing Trust is the UK's largest charity providing housing to Veterans in need.It offers general needs rental housing for ex-Service people with over 1500 properties across the United Kingdom in over 50 different local authority areas. For more information, contact:

Telephone: 020 8685 5777 and ask for housing options,
Website: Haig Housing

The Royal British Legion

The Royal British Legion helps veterans with tailored support and advice. They can assist with a range of issues, including applications for social housing, to make sure your circumstances are taken into consideration. Visit The Royal British Legion website to see if they can help.

Veterans' Gateway - Access to Housing Advice

The Veterans' Housing Advice service, initially provided by the Cobseo group of charities, and delivered by The Royal British Legion, Connect Assist and Shelter, has now been merged into Veterans' Gateway. The service is accessible 24/7 and supported by a resident housing specialist located at the Contact Centre.

The team aim to support veterans in finding, securing or maintaining accommodation by utilising the skills and resources of the Cobseo Housing Cluster, local authority contacts and other housing providers. Information can be accessed by telephone, email, live chat, social media, and on the website by visiting Veterans' Gateway/Self Help/Housing.

For more information, contact:
Telephone: 0808 802 1212 (Freephone 24/7)
Email: Via contact form
Website: Veterans' Gateway/Self Help. Please select housing to see all options.

Is this answer helpful?