Getting help with eviction (Scotland)

There is help available if you are facing eviction. Your rights as a tenant will vary depending on the type of tenancy you have, and whether you live with your landlord. For advice on your housing situation, contact your local Citizens Advice.

What does my landlord need to evict me?

The rules are different for:


Determine what kind of tenancy you have with Shelter's tenancy checker.

Illegal eviction

Visit Shelter's website for more information and advice on illegal eviction. You can also get help from your local council. Being threatened or harassed by your landlord, being removed from the property, being denied access to certain parts of the property, or the locks being changed while you are out are all examples of illegal eviction.

See more from Shelter:

Who can help?

The Armed Services Advice Project (ASAP)

ASAP provides free independent, confidential and impartial advice and information to the Armed Forces community on a range of issues including housing.

Website: ASAP Advice

Seafarers Advice and Information Line (SAIL)

Seafarers' Advice and Information Line (SAIL) is the only Citizens Advice dedicated to Naval Service Veterans. They provide expert telephone and email advice. They may be able to help you if you are facing eviction. To discuss your circumstances, contact SAIL:

Telephone: 0800 160 1842
Website: SAIL

Veterans' Gateway - Access to Housing Advice

The Veterans' Housing Advice service, initially provided by the Cobseo group of charities, and delivered by The Royal British Legion, Connect Assist and Shelter, has now been merged into Veterans' Gateway. The service is accessible 24/7 and supported by a resident housing specialist located at the Contact Centre.

The team aim to support veterans in finding, securing or maintaining accommodation by utilising the skills and resources of the Cobseo Housing Cluster, local authority contacts and other housing providers. Information can be accessed by telephone, email, live chat, social media, and on the website by visiting Veterans' Gateway/Self Help/Housing.

For more information, contact:
Telephone: 0808 802 1212 (Freephone 24/7)
Email: Via contact form
Website: Veterans' Gateway/Self Help. Please select housing to see all options.

Is this answer helpful?