Applying for social housing in Scotland

What is social housing?

Social housing is available through councils and housing associations, and is often cheaper to rent than private accommodation.

Visit Shelter's website for more information about renting from councils and housing associations.

How to apply for social housing

There are normally waiting lists for properties. Contact your local council or the housing association to register. The council's housing department can tell you if there is a common housing register in your area, which will give you more options. See the website for more information.

Eligibility and priority for veterans

Eligibility for social housing will vary between councils and housing associations, but if you have an urgent need, you may be prioritised. This can include people who are homeless, living in unsafe accommodation, or living in overcrowded conditions.

As part of the Armed Forces Covenant agreement, veterans may be given priority support for social housing. You may receive some priority on waiting lists, meaning you are more likely to be placed higher on the list. Visit Shelter's website for more information about priority for waiting lists.

Who can help?

The Armed Services Advice Project (ASAP)

ASAP provides free independent, confidential and impartial advice and information to the Armed Forces community on a range of issues including housing.

Website: ASAP Advice

Haig Housing Trust

Haig Housing Trust is the UK's largest charity providing housing to Veterans in need.It offers general needs rental housing for ex-Service people with over 1500 properties across the United Kingdom in over 50 different local authority areas. For more information, contact:

Telephone: 020 8685 5777 and ask for housing options,
Website: Haig Housing

Veterans' Gateway - Access to Housing Advice

The Veterans' Housing Advice service, initially provided by the Cobseo group of charities, and delivered by The Royal British Legion, Connect Assist and Shelter, has now been merged into Veterans' Gateway. The service is accessible 24/7 and supported by a resident housing specialist located at the Contact Centre.

The team aim to support veterans in finding, securing or maintaining accommodation by utilising the skills and resources of the Cobseo Housing Cluster, local authority contacts and other housing providers. Information can be accessed by telephone, email, live chat, social media, and on the website by visiting Veterans' Gateway/Self Help/Housing.

For more information, contact:
Telephone: 0808 802 1212 (Freephone 24/7)
Email: Via contact form
Website: Veterans' Gateway/Self Help. Please select housing to see all options.

Is this answer helpful?