Disabled Facilities Grant FAQs for England and Wales

The Disabled Facilities Grant is a grant from the council to pay for adaptations to your home if you are disabled. Common adaptions include improving access to bathrooms and facilities, and installing stair lifts and ramps.

Should I still apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) if I'm unsure about my eligibility?

Yes. A DFG should cover you for any difficulty accessing or getting around your home. You also have the right to challenge any decisions you feel are wrong.

Can I apply myself or does someone from the council have to help?

You can make your own application for a DFG. See the GOV.UK website for more information. Some local authorities will help you with the application process, which includes filling in forms and getting quotes for work, but you can often speed up the process by completing it yourself. Charitable organisations like The Royal British Legion, Blesma and SAIL can also help.

Do I have to apply through my council?

Yes. Each local council will have different forms that are specific for your area.

Can council or housing association tenants apply for DFGs?

Yes. Council and housing association tenants, along with private tenants, can apply.

What are the time limits for the council to respond?

As soon as a valid application is received by the local authority, they should provide a written decision within six months, and pay the grant no later than 12 months from the application date.

My local authority never has any money. Do they still have to help me?

Yes, DFGs are mandatory. They must provide a grant if an application meets the legal requirements.

My local authority says they are short of Occupational Therapists. Will my application be delayed?

No, the time limits still apply. Local authorities can use private Occupational Therapists or other staff to assist with DFG applications.

If I'm considered a low priority, will my grant be delayed?

Councils are entitled to create priority schemes, helping those with the most urgent need first. However, statutory timescales still apply, so you should still receive a decision within six months, and payment of the grant within 12 months.

How do I challenge a decision?

If they decide that you do not meet the criteria, you can challenge the decision by making a complaint to your local authority. If you are still not satisfied, you can contact the Local Government Ombudsman on:

Telephone: 0300 061 0614
Website: Local Government Ombudsman

Is this answer helpful?