Help for homeless veterans (Wales)

Help and assistance is available if you are homeless or in danger of becoming homeless. You do not have to be sleeping rough to be eligible. See Shelter's website for advice about all aspects of homelessness.

See more from Shelter:

Emergency accommodation

Contact your local council if you have nowhere to stay tonight. They have a legal duty to assist certain people who are homeless, sometimes with emergency accommodation, while they assess your homelessness application.

Applying as homeless

You will need to submit an application to the council to apply for homelessness assistance. See Shelter's website for advice on applying to the council as homeless.

Challenging a homelessness decision

If you think the council's decision about your homeless application is wrong, you have the right to request a review. See Shelter for help with challenging homelessness decisions.

If you have children and have become homeless

Under Section 20 of The Children Act 1989, the local authority may have a responsibility to provide accommodation for your children if you have become homeless.

If you're single and need housing

The Single Persons Accommodation Centre for the Ex Services (SPACES) provides advice and helps single service leavers find suitable accommodation. Contact SPACES from up to 12 months prior to discharge for housing assistance.

National Housing Pathway for Ex-Service personnel

The National Housing Pathway for Ex-Service personnel is the Welsh Government's commitment to support former Armed Forces personnel obtain suitable accommodation. This included access to local authority homelessness services. The Government's Package of Support outlines the support and services available to ex-Service personnel for housing, healthcare, employability, education and more.

Help from other organisations

The Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund (RAFBF)

The RAF Benevolent Fund (RAFBF) has a strong tradition of looking after the RAF Family in the UK and overseas. They are there for all serving and former members of the RAF as well as their partners and dependent children. They can offer grants to beneficiaries who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. Contact RAFBF at:

Telephone: 0300 102 1919
Website: RAFBF

SSAFA - the Armed Forces charity

SSAFA - the Armed Forces charity, supports veterans through financial assistance for a variety of needs. They offer support for homeless veterans or those at risk of becoming homeless. To see what assistance they can provide, contact SSAFA at:

Telephone: 0800 260 6767
Website: SSAFA

Veterans' Gateway

The Veterans' Gateway team supports veterans in finding, securing or maintaining accommodation. Information can be accessed by telephone, email, live chat, social media, and on the website by visiting Veterans' Gateway/Self Help/Housing.

For more information, contact:
Telephone: 0808 802 1212 (Freephone 24/7)
Email: Via contact form
Website: Veterans' Gateway/Self Help. Please select housing to see all options.

Is this answer helpful?