Getting help with eviction (England)

If you are facing eviction, your rights as a tenant give you some protection, but you may need further advice to stop the process. In some circumstances, landlords do have the right to evict you. This procedure is called seeking possession.

Visit Shelter's website for more information about the eviction of private tenants, council tenants or housing association tenants.

See more from Shelter:

What does my landlord need to evict me?

To evict you, your landlord needs a court order, which is called a possession order from the court. This court order states the date by which you should leave the property. If you don't leave by the date on the possession order, your landlord can obtain a warrant of possession, allowing bailiffs to evict you.

If you live with your private landlord, they can evict you without a court order. In this case, you should seek advice from your local Citizens Advice or an expert housing adviser.

Illegal eviction

Illegal eviction is a criminal offence. Landlords that harass or threaten you, physically remove you from the property, or change the locks while you are out are conducting an illegal eviction. See Shelter for more information and advice on illegal eviction or ask for council support.

Who can help?

Seafarers Advice and Information Line (SAIL)

Seafarers' Advice and Information Line (SAIL) is the only Citizens Advice dedicated to Naval Service Veterans. They provide expert telephone and email advice. They may be able to help you if you are facing eviction. To discuss your circumstances, contact SAIL:

Telephone: 0800 160 1842
Website: SAIL


For help and advice with any housing related issue, Shelter can provide expert assistance. If you are facing eviction and want to know your rights, and how you may be able to prevent it, contact Shelter:

Telephone: 0808 800 4444
Website: Shelter

Veterans' Gateway - Access to Housing Advice

The Veterans' Housing Advice service, initially provided by the Cobseo group of charities, and delivered by The Royal British Legion, Connect Assist and Shelter, has now been merged into Veterans' Gateway. The service is accessible 24/7 and supported by a resident housing specialist located at the Contact Centre.

The team aim to support veterans in finding, securing or maintaining accommodation by utilising the skills and resources of the Cobseo Housing Cluster, local authority contacts and other housing providers. Information can be accessed by telephone, email, live chat, social media, and on the website by visiting Veterans' Gateway/Self Help/Housing.

For more information, contact:
Telephone: 0808 802 1212 (Freephone 24/7)
Email: Via contact form
Website: Veterans' Gateway/Self Help. Please select housing to see all options.

Is this answer helpful?