Living aids, equipment and adaptations in Scotland

If you have an illness or disability, you may need adaptations to help you live independently in your own home. If you are a private tenant, contact your landlord. If you're a homeowner or public sector tenant, contact your local authority for an assessment of your needs. They will arrange a visit from an occupational therapist to assess you and your home.

You can also visit the Scottish Government website for information about equipment and adaptations from your local authority or NHS Board and equipment you can purchase.

What help can I get?

The equipment and adaptations you get will vary depending on your circumstances. Typically, they can include:

  • stair rails or a stairlift
  • ramps, or
  • widened doors.

There are further alterations for individual rooms, such as modified bathtubs, lower surfaces in the kitchen and riser chairs in the living room. Find out more about home adaptations on Shelter's website.

Do I have to pay for adaptations?

Before you decide to alter your home, contact your local council to see if they have a responsibility to pay for them. This may depend on your circumstances and the type of work that needs doing.You may be eligible for a grant to help with the cost of adaptation.

Who can help?

The Armed Services Advice Project (ASAP), delivered by Citizens Advice Bureau in Scotland, provides dedicated information, advice and support for the Armed Forces community. Email or visit the ASAP Advice website.

SSAFA - the Armed Forces charity, supports veterans to maintain independence and mobility in their home. They can provide assistance to help you apply for living aids and equipment. Visit the SSAFA website for more information.

Poppyscotland can provide a one-off grant for household equipment and home adaptations, depending on your circumstances. To see if they can help you with access around your home, visit the Poppyscotland website.

Is this answer helpful?