Homelessness – applying before you are discharged in England and Wales

The MOD's Joint Service Housing Advice Office (JSHAO) is a service that provides service personnel and their dependants with civilian housing information. They can help you consider your housing options through briefings and other information. You should contact them before you're discharged and before your housing situation becomes urgent.

See more information on JSHAO:

Visit the GOV.UK website for more information about JSHAO.

If you are single and leaving the Armed Forces, contact the Single Persons Accommodation Centre for the Ex Services (SPACES) who help single service leavers find suitable accommodation no matter where they are based. You can contact SPACES for assistance from up to 12 months prior to discharge.

National Housing Pathway for Ex-Service personnel

The National Housing Pathway for Ex-Service personnel is the Welsh Government's commitment to support former Armed Forces personnel obtain suitable accommodation, including access to local authority homelessness services. The Government's Package of Support outlines the support and services available to ex-Service personnel for housing, healthcare, employability, education and more.

How to register as homeless

If you think you will be homeless after leaving the Armed Forces, you should contact your local council for assistance. If you can't find accommodation, you should stay in military accommodation for as long as possible, until Defence Estates serve you a notice to vacate. You can use this document as evidence when applying to your council as homeless as your time in Service may place you in priority need.

You can also contact Shelter England or Shelter Wales who offer advice on homelessness, including making homelessness applications and taking steps to find suitable accommodation. If you are concerned about becoming homeless, there are a number of organisations that can give you advice and help you find accommodation.

Is this answer helpful?