Accessing support for hearing loss in England and Wales

If you're worried about your hearing, you should visit your GP in England or Wales. They can check your ears and refer you to a specialist if necessary.

The NHS offers information and support on hearing loss on their website. You can find out more about the causes of hearing loss, and preventing and treating it. They also have information on hearing aids, many of which are free as part of the NHS services.

If you are registered as disabled, you may qualify for Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and Disability Living Allowance. Contact the Citizen's Advice Bureau for advice on disability benefits.

Who else can help?

The Royal British Legion can help if you have lost your hearing due to Service in the Armed Forces. You may be able to claim a War Disablement Pension or Armed Forces Compensation. You may also be eligible to apply for the Veterans Medical Fund, which can help toward equipment and treatments to improve your quality of life.

The funds provided to these programmes have now been fully assigned and the Royal British Legion's Veterans' Medical Fund Programme is are not accepting new applications.  Please contact, or call our contact centre 0808 802 8080 if you are a past applicant with a query.

Is this answer helpful?