Veterans Medical Fund

The Royal British Legion's Veterans Medical Fund programme offers support to ex-Service personnel who have a serious physical injury or suffer from hearing loss acquired in Service. It offers support for hearing loss and mobility.

The fund was designed in cooperation with the Ministry of Defence (MOD), National Health Service (NHS), Department of Health and specialists in the medical and Armed Forces charity sectors. The fund is available to veterans across the UK and aims to support those whose needs cannot be met through statutory services.

How can I apply for help with hearing loss?

To apply for the Veterans Hearing Fund, you will need to fill out an application form.

You will also need to send a copy of your service record, including documented evidence that proves hearing loss was acquired in Service. If you do not have a copy of your service medical records, complete a subject access request form and return it to the appropriate service records office.

If audiometry records are unavailable, complete the application with a copy of the confirmation that records could not be found.

If your eligibility application has been successful, you will receive a second stage application form. You will have to take this to an audiologist of your choice to complete. The audiologist will suggest what equipment or treatments can help improve your quality of life.

Harris Tatakis received help from the Veterans' Hearing Fund

Harris Tatakis in Combat Gear

Find out how the Royal British Legion helped Harris with getting revolutionary tinnitus treatment.

How can I apply for help with mobility?

To apply for the Veterans Mobility Fund, you will need to fill out an application form.

The Veterans Mobility Fund aims to provide support for veterans that are already claiming a War Pension or Armed Forces compensation (AFCS), and who were discharged with serious physical injury attributable to Service.

You will have to provide proof that you are in receipt of compensation when applying. The Fund helps with acquiring specialist wheelchairs or orthotic equipment, with a five-year warranty.

To apply, fill in the application form above and submit it together with proof of being in receipt of War Pension or AFCS award. Once the eligibility application has been approved, a clinician must complete and submit the second stage form.

Where do I send my application?

Send your application for the Veterans Hearing Fund or Veterans Mobility Fund along with supporting documentation to:

Veterans Medical Fund
The Royal British Legion
199 Borough High Street
London SE1 1AA

Where can I find more information?

The Royal British Legion will be able to assist you with applications and confirm your eligibility for support. To find out more about the funds, contact the Legion at:

Telephone: 0808 802 8080
Website: The Royal British Legion

Is this answer helpful?