Disabled Facilities Grant FAQs (Northern Ireland)

The Disabled Facilities Grant is a grant authorised by the Housing Executive to pay for adaptations to a disabled person's home. Common adaptions include improving access to bathrooms and facilities, and installing stair lifts and ramps.

Are Housing Executive or housing association tenants eligible for DFGs?

If you are a Housing Executive or housing association tenant, you are not required to pay for necessary adaptations. In this case, DFG's are not applicable. Furthermore, your rent should not be increased following adaptations, unless the adaptation includes a substantial amount of building work. If you need adaptations to your home, contact your landlord, housing association or social worker.

Do I have to apply directly to the Housing Executive?

No. You can apply through your GP, occupational therapy service or local Health and Social Services Trust. Your local Housing Executive office can help throughout the application process.

What are the time limits for the Housing Executive to respond?

You should receive acknowledgement of your initial application within 10 working days. After the necessary paperwork and inspections, it can take up to 6 months to receive a formal approval to start the work.

The Housing Executive never has any money. Do they still have to help me?

Yes, DFGs are mandatory. The Housing Executive must provide a grant if applications meet the legal requirements.

The Housing Executive says they are short of Occupational Therapists. Will my application be delayed?

No. The speed at which your grant is processed will depend on the level of demand in your area and the money available. However, the time frames stated still apply.

What if I'm a low priority?

Due to budget restraints, The Housing Executive may have to prioritise based on need. However, all DFGs will be prioritised over non-mandatory housing and repair grants. If you are concerned about delays in your area, speak to your local Housing Executive office.

How do I challenge a decision?

There are two stages to the Housing Executive's internal complaints procedure. If you are not satisfied with the decision made after both stages, you can contact your local Ombudsman:

Northern Ireland Public Services Ombudsman
Progressive House
33 Wellington Place

Freepost: Freepost NIPSO
Telephone: 028 9023 3821 or Freephone: 0800 34 34 24
Email: nipso@nipso.org.uk

Where can I find further help?

The RAF Benevolent Fund (RAFBF) has a strong tradition of looking after the RAF Family in the UK and overseas. They can help with modifications such as stairlifts, wheelchair ramps, level access showers, and care equipment such as profiling beds, riser recliner chairs, bath lifts, hoists, and communications equipment. If you need assistance adapting your home to help you live independently visit the RAFBF website.

Is this answer helpful?