Guardian’s Allowance in Scotland

You could receive Guardian's Allowance if you are raising a child whose parents have died. It is a tax-free benefit received in addition to Child Benefit.

To be eligible for Guardian's Allowance, you must meet all of the following criteria:

  • You are bringing up someone else's child.
  • The child's parents are dead (there are conditions for one surviving parent).
  • You qualify for Child Benefit.
  • One of the parents was born in the UK, or was living in the UK since the age of 16 for at least 52 weeks in any 2-year period.

You may still get Guardian's Allowance if you adopt a child, but only if you were receiving it before you adopted the child. Visit the GOV.UK website for more information and to make a claim.

Who can help?

Members of the Armed Forces Community in Scotland can get advice and information from the Armed Services Advice Project.

The Department for Work and Pensions offer information on the benefits you are entitled to and how to get them. Visit the DWP website for details.

The RAF Benevolent Fund (RAFBF) has a strong tradition of looking after the RAF Family in the UK and overseas. They support all serving and former members of the RAF as well as their partners and dependent children. Their Advice and Advocacy service offers expert advice on benefits and help with claiming support you are entitled to. Visit the RAFBF website for more information.

Seafarers' Advice and Information Line (SAIL) is the only Citizens Advice service dedicated to Naval Service Veterans. They provide expert telephone and email advice on benefits, debt and housing. They can help with information about Guardian's Allowance and eligibility. Visit the SAIL website for more information.

Is this answer helpful?