Disability Living Allowance (DLA) in Scotland

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is a tax-free benefit for people under the age of 65 who have physical or mental disabilities, and who need help paying for mobility or care costs.You can claim DLA up to and including the day you turn 65. DLA is being replaced by Personal Independent Payment (PIP).

If you are already claiming, you will receive DLA until the Department of Work and Pensions contact you to tell you when you should switch to PIP. Visit the GOV.UK website for more information about DLA, eligibility criteria and how to make a claim. Use their PIP checker tool to see how your DLA will be affected by PIP.

The Scottish Citizens Advice Bureaux Service provides advice on benefits. Get advice online or contact your local bureaux.

Who can help?

The Armed Services Advice Project (ASAP), delivered by Citizens Advice Bureaux in Scotland, provides dedicated information, advice and support for the Armed Forces community. Email ASAP@CAS.org.uk or visit the website ASAP Advice.

The RAF Benevolent Fund (RAFBF) has a strong tradition of looking after the RAF Family in the UK and overseas. They support all serving and former members of the RAF as well as their partners and dependent children. Their Advice and Advocacy service offers expert advice on benefits and help with claiming support you are entitled to. Visit the RAFBF website for more information.

Seafarers' Advice and Information Line (SAIL) is the only Citizens Advice dedicated to Naval Service Veterans. They provide expert telephone and email advice on benefits, debt management, housing and more. Visit the SAIL website for more information.

Is this answer helpful?