War Pensions and Armed Forces Compensation in England, Wales and Northern Ireland

If you have been injured because of service, or have had a condition made worse by service, you may be able to claim compensation. The MOD runs two schemes: the War Pension Scheme (WPS) for injuries before 6 April 2005, and the Armed Forces Compensation scheme (AFCS) for injuries on or after that date.

You can claim for any injuries or illness which occurred during your service, or you had before enlistment which was made worse by your service.

Who can help me claim?

The Royal British Legion

The Royal British Legion work closely with veterans to help them receive any support they are eligible for. For help, contact them at:

Telephone: 0808 802 8080
Email: info@britishlegion.org.uk
Website: The Royal British Legion

Veterans UK

Veterans UK is the primary source for anyone who wants to claim compensation. To make a claim, download a form from the Veterans UK website or contact them at:

Telephone: 0808 191 4218
Email: veterans-uk@mod.uk
Website: Veterans UK

You can also contact the Veterans Welfare Service (VWS), which is part of Veterans UK. This service offers veterans professional advice in relation to welfare claims. Contact the VWS centre in your region for help.

Can I appeal?

If you are unhappy with the outcome of your claim, you have the right to appeal the decision to an independent tribunal. You can file an appeal with Veterans UK.

The Royal British Legion can provide free advice for appeals, and representation before tribunals, but you should notify Veterans UK that you wish to be represented by the Legion. 

Is this answer helpful?