War Pensions and Armed Forces Compensation in Scotland

If you have been injured because of service, or have had a condition made worse by service, you may be able to claim a pension or compensation. The MOD runs two schemes: a War Pension for injuries before the 6 April 2005, and the Armed Forces Compensation scheme (AFCS) for injuries on or after that date.

You can claim for any injuries or illness during your service.

Who can help me claim?

Legion Scotland

Legion Scotland offer advice and support to veterans pursuing War Pensions and Armed Forces Compensation claims. Their help ranges from filling in forms to presenting your case to a tribunal. For support, contact:

Telephone: 0131 550 1586
Website: Legion Scotland

Veterans UK

Veterans UK is the primary source for anyone who wants to claim a War Pension or Armed Forces compensation. To make a claim, contact them at:

Telephone: 0808 191 4218
Email: veterans-uk@mod.uk
Website: Veterans UK

You can also contact the Veterans Welfare Service (VWS), which is part of Veterans UK. This service offers veterans professional advice in relation to welfare claims. Find the VWS centre in your region for help.

Can I appeal?

If you are unhappy with the outcome of your claim, you have the right to appeal the decision to an independent tribunal. You can file an appeal with Veterans UK.

Legion Scotland can provide free advice for appeals, and representation before tribunals, but you should notify Veterans UK that you wish to be represented by the Legion. 

Is this answer helpful?