Applying for Employment and Support Allowance in England, Wales and Northern Ireland

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) is a benefit for people who cannot work due to illness or disability.

You can get financial support if you're unable to work, or help with working based on your ability. Find out more on the Department of Work and Pensions website or the NI Direct website if you live in Northern Ireland

Who can help?

The RAF Benevolent Fund (RAFBF) has a strong tradition of looking after the RAF Family in the UK and overseas. They support all serving and former members of the RAF as well as their partners and dependent children. They can give advice and support in relation to benefits, including ESA, through their advice and advocacy service.

The Royal British Legion supports members of the Armed Forces who may be eligible to receive ESA. Legion offices can offer further help and advice with ESA claims and other benefits. The Legion's Benefits, Debt and Money Advice service can assist with appealing a ESA decision.

The Seafarers' Advice and Information LINE (SAIL) is the only Citizens Advice dedicated to Naval Service Veterans. They provide expert telephone and email advice on a range of issues, including help with ESA.

Is this answer helpful?