Cost of renting a property in Northern Ireland

It is important that you budget correctly for what you can afford, as renting a property can be expensive.

How do I manage rent?

Before moving in, be aware of additional expenses such as removal costs, council tax, bills and service charges. See the Money Advice Service for information on how to budget for renting, including how to share costs between tenants in the same property.

Extra costs such as deposits and agent's fees are outlined on the Housing Rights website.

Will my rent increase?

At the end of your tenancy, private landlords may increase rent. You may be able to challenge a rent increase by applying to the Rent Assessment Committee.

Can I claim housing benefits and Universal Credit?

You may be able to claim housing benefit if you are on a low income. Universal Credit is a new benefit that will replace other benefits, including housing benefits. Visit the NI Direct website to see if you are eligible for Universal Credit.

Who can help?

The NI Direct website provides information on rent control and options for renters.

Veterans' Gateway - Access to Housing Advice

The Veterans' Housing Advice service, initially provided by the Cobseo group of charities, and delivered by The Royal British Legion, Connect Assist and Shelter, has now been merged into Veterans' Gateway. The service is accessible 24/7 and supported by a resident housing specialist located at the Contact Centre.

The team aim to support veterans in finding, securing or maintaining accommodation by utilising the skills and resources of the Cobseo Housing Cluster, local authority contacts and other housing providers. Information can be accessed by telephone, email, live chat, social media, and on the website by visiting Veterans' Gateway/Self Help/Housing.

For more information, contact:
Telephone: 0808 802 1212 (Freephone 24/7)
Email: Via contact form
Website: Veterans' Gateway/Self Help. Please select housing to see all options.

Is this answer helpful?