War Pension Scheme advice in England, Wales and Northern Ireland

If you have been injured as a result of service, or have had a condition made worse by service before 6 April 2005, you may be able to claim a War Pension. The War Pension Scheme is administered by Veterans UK and paid by the Ministry of Defence (MOD).

You can claim for any injuries or illness that occurred during your service. They do not have to have been caused by conflict and can include activities such as training and recognised sports. You also do not have to prove anyone was to blame, just that the injury was caused or made worse by service.

How can I apply?

Visit Veterans UK to download a claim form. You can contact them for assistance with the form, including what information you need to provide and who it should be sent to. The MOD Veterans Welfare Service (VWS) is part of Veterans UK. This service offers veterans professional advice in relation to welfare claims. To use this service, contact the VWS centre in your region.

The Royal British Legion will be able to help you make a claim.

How is it assessed?

The War Pension Scheme is calculated on a percentage basis, relating to the severity of your disablement. See the Veterans UK website for more information.

Supplementary Allowances may apply if your award reaches a threshold of 40, 60 or 80 per cent. Contact Veterans UK for further details.

When should I claim?

You must wait until your discharge date before applying for a War Pension. There is no time limit for submitting a claim, but you may have to prove your disablement is directly related to service if it has been seven years or more since your discharge.

What happens to my application?

When Veterans UK receive your claim form, they will obtain your Service records and medical records. They will investigate whether service caused or worsened your condition, and then assess the severity of your injury or illness.

How long will my claim take?

Veterans UK can take up to six months to process a claim.

How can I appeal?

You have the right to appeal a decision if are unhappy with the result. You must appeal within 12 months of the decision. Contact Veterans UK to file an appeal, or get help from The Royal British Legion with the appeal process.

How have payments changed?

As of September 2015, Veterans UK transferred payments of War Pension from Post Office Card Accounts to direct payment into a bank or building society account. Contact Veterans UK for further information.

Is this answer helpful?