Service accommodation and relationship breakdown

If you live in Service Family Accommodation and you separate, divorce or dissolve a civil partnership with your partner, you will have to move out unless you have children living with you. If you do not have children living with you, you will usually be offered Single Living Accommodation.

Contact the Joint Service Housing Advice Office (JSHAO) for advice about your housing situation.

What happens if I'm not Service personnel?

If you separate from your partner who is serving, you will have to move out of service accommodation. In some cases, at the discretion of the Armed Services, you may be able to stay in the home for a limited time.

If you fail to find alternative accommodation, and remain in family quarters, you could receive an eviction notice, often giving you 93 days to leave. If you have already received an eviction notice, you should contact the Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO).

Veterans' Gateway - Access to Housing Advice

The Veterans' Housing Advice service, initially provided by the Cobseo group of charities, and delivered by The Royal British Legion, Connect Assist and Shelter, has now been merged into Veterans' Gateway. 

The team aim to support veterans in finding, securing or maintaining accommodation by utilising the skills and resources of the Cobseo Housing Cluster, local authority contacts and other housing providers. Information can be accessed by telephone, email, live chat, social media, and on the website by visiting Veterans' Gateway/Self Help/Housing.

For more information, contact:
Telephone: 0808 802 1212 (Freephone 24/7)
Email: Via contact form
Website: Veterans' Gateway/Self Help. Please select housing to see all options.

Is this answer helpful?