The motivations and experiences of ex-Service personnel, Reservists and military spouses in self-employment have been historically under-researched. That's why Forces in Mind Trust commissioned Warwick Institute for Employment Research at the University of Warwick, QinetiQ and X-Forces to undertake an ambitious research project, to understand what more can be done to support the Armed Forces Community in their pursuit of self-employment.
The next stage of the research project takes the form of an online survey, directed at former Armed Forces personnel, who are either self-employed or have considered pursuing a self-employment career. Some of the areas the survey covers are:
- The length of time since leaving the Armed Forces.
- Whether or not you are part of the Reserve Forces.
- Sources of advice and support you may have received.
- Your military skills and experience that can be drawn upon in self-employment.
- The type of self-employment you are in or plan to go into.
- If you are aware of any financial, legal, or policy issues which may have helped or hindered your pursuit of self-employment.
The survey is anonymous and takes around 20 minutes to complete. You can save your progress and continue the survey at a later stage.
Find out more and take the survey.
What happens after the survey?
Your feedback will form the basis of a detailed report. Any conclusions and recommendations that come out of this report will be used to inform relevant policy makers. In essence, the aim is to maximise your chance of a successful and sustainable transition into civilian life through self-employment.