Accommodation rights for bereaved families in England, Wales and Northern Ireland

If your partner died in Service and you are living in Service Family Accommodation, you have the right to live there for up to two years. You will have to pay rent during this time, but you may be entitled to financial help to cover the costs.

Following the death of a service person, The MOD will be on hand to give support and practical advice. Visit the MOD website to see the full range of national and local bereavement related services available. The MoD will contact you six months after the bereavement. They will review your long-term housing needs and may cover relocation costs.

Who can help?

The Joint Service Housing Advice Office (JSHAO) provides specialist housing advice for Service personnel and their dependants. They will help you understand your housing options and assist you in making a long-term accommodation plan.

The Royal British Legion's Benefits, Debt and Money Advice (BDMA) Service provides free, confidential advice about benefits that you may be entitled to.

Veterans' Gateway - Access to Housing Advice

The Veterans' Housing Advice service, initially provided by the Cobseo group of charities, and delivered by The Royal British Legion, Connect Assist and Shelter, has now been merged into Veterans' Gateway. 

The team aim to support veterans in finding, securing or maintaining accommodation by utilising the skills and resources of the Cobseo Housing Cluster, local authority contacts and other housing providers. Information can be accessed by telephone, email, live chat, social media, and on the website by visiting Veterans' Gateway/Self Help/Housing.

For more information, contact:
Telephone: 0808 802 1212 (Freephone 24/7)
Email: Via contact form
Website: Veterans' Gateway/Self Help. Please select housing to see all options.

Is this answer helpful?