Access to mental wellbeing support in England

If you experience a mental health crisis (when you no longer feel able to cope or are not in control of your situation) and you are not under the care of a mental health team, you can also get help by dialling 111, booking an emergency GP appointment, visiting A&E or calling 999.

What can I find support for?

Many conditions and disorders can affect your mental wellbeing. Common issues include depression, grief from bereavement, loneliness, dementia and alcohol and drug misuse. Veterans can find support for all aspects of mental health, including post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), from several organisations that seek to provide expert advice and assistance.

What other support is available?

If you are suffering with PTSD, depression or other mental health problems, there are organisations you can approach for help.

The NHS has a comprehensive online library of information on mental wellbeing, ranging from bereavement to managing mental health at work.

Within the NHS, there are a range of mental health services that provide different types of care and treatment. This includes Op Courage, the NHS service that provides specialist care for those Armed forces veterans suffering from a mental health crisis.

Combat Stress

Combat Stress is the UK's leading charity for veterans' mental health. For almost a century the charity has helped former servicemen and women deal with issues like trauma, anxiety, depression and post-traumatic stress disorder. On the phone and online. In the community and at its treatment centres. Services are free of charge to veterans. For support contact:

Helpline: 0800 138 1619
Website: Combat Stress


Mind is a mental health charity offering advice and information to anyone experiencing mental health problems. They have online resources on mental health and guides to support and services. For support, contact:

Mind Infoline: 0300 123 3393
Website: Mind

The Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund

The RAF Benevolent Fund has a strong tradition of looking after the RAF Family in the UK and overseas. They support all serving and former members of the RAF as well as their partners and dependent children. They provide free access to mental health support and therapy through their wellbeing service. For more information, contact:

Telephone: 0800 169 2942
Website: The Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund

Mental health and disability

Under the Equality Act 2010, you may be considered disabled if you have a mental health condition.

Is this answer helpful?